October 3, 2019
In this issue…. October Events, Meet the Candidates, CBA FAQs - Class size & Caseload
Upcoming October Events
- WEA-PAC Endorsed Candidate Canvassing - Oct 5 (time/location varies, see below)
- Union Night w/ the Seattle Thunderbirds - Oct 5 at 6:00pm (HEA members can email Portia Robinson by noon 10/4 for 2 free tickets)
- HEA Reception for WEA PAC Endorsed Candidates - Oct 7, 4-4:25PM (at PSSC, see below)
- HEA Rep Council Meeting - Oct 7, 4:25-6:15PM (at PSSC)
Meet Our Endorsed Candidates
When it comes to being an educator, we face the reality that our work is impacted daily by elected officials from our school boards to our halls of Congress - and every level in-between.
Last spring, HEA WEA-PAC members interviewed local candidates to make endorsements for our members and community. Please help them get elected:
• By voting when you get your ballot!
• By door-knocking to get out the vote (pick one action from below).
• By donating to their campaigns (see below).
• By sharing our endorsements on social media and through word-of-mouth.
• If you live in the candidates’ district, by sporting a yard sign!
Please help elect the following WEA PAC endorsed candidates, recommended by HEA PAC members. Campaign email addresses are hyperlinked to endorsed candidate names and Facebook links are also provided.
Highline School Board:
• Aaron Garcia for Highline School Board Position 1 - Facebook Page
Connect with his campaign at 206-817-9327 to learn how to help! If you love grassroots organizing, Aaron deserves your support and your vote.
SeaTac City Council:
• Senayet Negusse for SeaTac City Council Position 1 - Facebook Page
• Damiana Merryweather for SeaTac City Council Position 3 - Facebook Page
• Takele Gubena for SeaTac City Council Position 5 - Facebook Page
• Mohamed Egal for SeaTac City Council Position 7- Facebook Page
Days of Action for Change in SeaTac: Oct 5 & 12 (11AM-2PM). Meet in the Tyee HS Parking Lot.
BIG SeaTac Day of Action! Oct 19 (11AM-2PM). Meet in the Tyee HS Parking Lot.
HUGE SeaTac Day of Action! Oct 26 (11AM-2PM) Meeting spot TBD.
Burien City Council:
• Cydney Moore Burien City Council Position 2 - Facebook Page
• Kevin Schilling for Burien City Council Position 4 - Facebook Page
• Sofia Aragon for Burien City Council Position 6 - Facebook Page
Pancakes and Canvassing: Oct 5 (9-11AM). Meet at Local 242 (22323 Pac Hwy S).
We invite all HEA members to a short reception with some of the above candidates on Monday, October 7, prior to the start of the HEA Rep Council Meeting. Join us at the PSSC Health Building (18010 8th Ave S) from 4:00-4:25.
CBA FAQs - Class Size & Caseload
Q - It’s after October 1; how many students can be placed in my class or on my caseload?
A - Our CBA has eleven Sections in Article 4 devoted to explaining your class size and caseload rights within virtually every HEA membership category. The main Section references are: Student Enrollment & Staff Allocation (4.15), Class size and Workload (4.16), as well as Class size Mitigation (4.19).
If you are looking for something related to specific programs/positions, check out: ELL-Elementary (4.17), All Day K (4.18), Advisory (4.20), Camp Waskowitz (4.21), Secondary Assessment Coord (4.22), DL Program (4.23), WaKids (4.24) and Elementary PE/Music (4.25).