November 1, 2019
In this issue…. Monday Reception, HARWE Book Study, SEBB Deadline Looms, DL Materials, CBA FAQ - Dual Language
Monday Reception at PSSC We are inviting you and new WEA President Larry Delaney to a reception hosted by the HEA Rep Council between 4 and 4:30 on Monday, November 4 at the PSSC (18010 8th Ave S, SeaTac). Hope to see you there!
HARWE A few miles to the Southeast at Madrona Elementary at 4:30 PM on Monday, Nov. 4, the Highline Antiracist White Educators (HARWE) will launch this year’s book study: How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. HEA has twelve copies of the book to lend participants for the year. Meetings are held monthly.
SEBB Anyone? It is a bit spooky how few members have signed up for our new benefits packages during the SEBB healthcare open enrollment to date.
- Need help figuring out the best plan for you? Visit the Virtual Benefit Fair to learn more about all the benefits available.
- Ask ALEX, the HCA's online tool that can help you with enrollment and benefit questions.
- Contact the insurance companies. You are a potential customer and we hear they are being super responsive when people call in.
- Finally, if you have checked out the other resources and still need help, you can call the WEA Benefits Hotline at 855-668-5039. Please note: it is likely that the help service will need to do some homework and get back to you in a few days. Hours are Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Still Need Some TLC? BRING your dependents’ social security numbers and dependent verification documents when you drop by one of two remaining HR SEBB Events. Dates remaining are today and next Friday.
-- November 1 at Central Office North Classroom (10:00am-5:00pm)
-- November 8 at Central Office (10:00am-5:00pm)
Translated Materials for DL Instruction Over the past year, the district has partnered with LUNA, a professional translation company, to update translations for our elementary NGSS-aligned science units in Spanish. Please always be checking on CANVAS, under Elementary Science, to find the most updated Spanish science materials. These materials should include translations and the supplementary Spanish unit resources (such as GLAD resources). If you find district-provided curricular materials that need translation, contact Jordan Montalvo for Spanish, and for Vietnamese contact Naomi Kallmes.
CBA FAQ - Dual Language
Q: I work in a school designated as “dual language.” As a DL teacher, is there any contract language the describes extra pay, protections or supports teaching in these positions?
A: Our Dual Language Program contract language can be found in section 4.23 (p. 36-39) of our joint CBA. Your rights are listed there. If you would like to work collaboratively with district administrators to develop recommendations for improvements to DL, a Joint Dual Language Leadership Team will be getting going soon. It will be co-chaired by HEA executive board member Sandra Aguila, who teachers at Madrona Elementary. This team is charged with recommending improvements to the DL program. We are seeking representation from every DL school. If you would like to join the team, please contact HEA President Sandy Hunt.