February 28, 2020
In this Issue...Guest Teacher Social, VOTE WEA NOW (so many great candidates!), Bargaining Update, Scholarship for You, Powerful PD, Just for Fun, Caucus Corner-The WEA Latinx Caucus, Check it Off Your List
HEA Guest Teacher Social: At Angelo’s on Burien on Mar 26 (drop in 3:00-6:00pm). Please RSVP by emailing Portia Robinson.
So Many Great Candidates…so little time. If you haven't yet voted in our WEA Election, please do so now. (If you have, thank you!) Online voting is open until midnight Sunday, March 1 – it takes just a few minutes to decide who will represent us over the next two years. I promise you, you will know at least one of these amazing Highline and Renton candidates.
HELP MEMBERS with their dream of becoming your next WEA Board member and/or state delegate to the NEA Representative Assembly in Atlanta… go to this link where you will find instructions on how to log in. Click on each candidate's name to see a short biographical description.
Voting runs through midnight March 1 with any run-off elections beginning on March 8. Follow this link for additional information on your RAINIER COUNCIL Board of Director candidates. An email with this same information was sent to home email addresses. You are encouraged to forward are this information with fellow HEA members.
HEA Executive Board Positions Open Monday. Nominations for HEA Secretary, HEA High School Representative, and HEA Elementary Representative (position B) will open at the HEA Rep Council meeting on Monday, March 2 at PSSC at 4:30pm and remain open until the next Representative Council on March 30. More information will be coming soon!
Many thanks to everyone who attended a Listening Session and/or completed the Bargaining Survey! The HEA Bargaining Team worked all day yesterday to review your feedback from the Listening Sessions and incorporate it into the development of our bargaining priorities. The HEA Team meets again next week to continue this work using preliminary survey results and district financial data. The next Joint Sessions with the District Team are scheduled for March 23, 25, and 27.
Race to the Right (on the Salary Schedule)
The WSAC Educator Retooling Conditional Scholarship supports WA educators in earning an endorsement in shortage areas. Amelia Swinton received $3,000 towards her tuition in a local online ELL endorsement program. According to Amelia “my program endeavors to design its courses with a social justice framework that supports teachers in delivering instruction that is culturally-responsive to language learners. I chose to pursue endorsement this to support my work as a stand-alone dual-language teacher, where all students in my class are language learners of English, Spanish, or both languages.” Remember to transform your clock hours and credits into cash as you move further to the right on the salary schedule. Earn that Master’s Degree, and you gain an even bigger bump.
Unionism 101. Are you new to the union? Been a member for a while but not sure what the union does or how you fit in? Come have dinner with Rainier UniServ members and learn the basics of being in a union. You’ll learn how to get more out of your union and how your gripe can become new contract language. Details: Embassy Suites (15920 West Valley Highway, Tukwila, WA 98188), March 12 (5:00-8:00pm), dinner will provided. Clock hours not available.
Speaking of Clock Hours. This year’s South Sound Saturday School will be held on March 21 at Steilacoom High School, in Steilacoom. Check out their lineup. Registration is $35 for WEA members and covers up to two sessions, breakfast and lunch. Vegetarian, dairy free and gluten-free options for those who have dietary restrictions, but please bring your own sack lunch, if you have specific needs. Also, pack your own munchies if you need a snack throughout the day. Turn in your receipt after attendance to HEA and 100% of your tuition will be reimbursed. Registration will close at 5 p.m. Friday, March 6. Breakfast and check in begins at 7:30 a.m. with welcome and introductions at 8:15 a.m. Class begins promptly at 8:30 a.m
If you have questions, please email Soundview UniServ Council or call 253-582-1822. Follow up on Facebook.
Just for Fun!
- Gold Star Bash Tickets (first come basis): Celebrate with Highline Schools Foundation at the SeaTac Community Center on 3/10 (6:30-8:30) email Portia to reserve your ticket today.
- Contract Action Team: Meet up at Elliott Bay Brewery in Burien on 3/13 (3:30-5:30pm).
- Pop Up at The Pointe: Pop in to Pick Up your BST Packet & a Drink 3/20 (Anytime 3:00-6:00pm).
- Red Shirt Social: Burien Azteca free appetizers on 3/3 (5:00-6:00pm).
- NBCT Celebration and Social: HSD Central Office on 3/18 (5:00-6:00pm).
- Seattle Solidarity: Free Social sponsored by the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project in Georgetown on March 5 (5:30-7:30) RSVP to save your spot.
WEA Caucus Corner
As a WEA member, you may wish to join an affiliated caucus of like-minded members to promote issues, awareness, and knowledge of importance to you. Watch here for information in upcoming weeks on other caucuses you can join for a small fee. You must join each caucus annually and pay each fee separate from your union dues.
Established to recruit self-identified Latinx members and other members interested in issues that affect Latinx including promoting and protecting professional rights, welfare, human rights, and the public education of Latinx; learn more about the WEA Latinx Caucus and how to join here. They are in the process of moving to online member sign up so in the meantime, message them at WEA Latinx Caucus on Facebook to join.
MARCH-CHECK IT OFF YOUR LIST
- WEAPAC Drive-We want you: Join the movement! Join WEAPAC! For $2.25/mo you can support candidates who support public education. If you have questions or need an enrollment form, email Leslie Sokolik or Amy Hepburn.
- Update Your Registration and Vote in the Presidential Primary by March 10th.
- Update Your WEA Contact Info.
- Contract Action Team: Help support our bargaining team and prepare for upcoming member actions by joining the planning team (March 13th at Elliott Bay 3:30-5:50).
- Bargaining Support Leads: Pop Up in the Pointe on Friday March 20 (3:00-6:00PM) to pick up your BST Packet. We need a lead from every building and group to support our bargaining team: 1) for Elementary Schools email Katie OR 2) for Secondary/Special Groups email Gabriela.
- Early Educator Survey - Help the Early Career Educator Committee learn more about your needs.