In this Issue: Report from the NCUEA Fall Meeting
1. YOU ARE INVITED: Fall Survey, Boosters, WEA HCR Conf, Super Search Link
2. WEA NEWS: Free Asynch Clock hours til June, Upcoming Nominations and Elections
3. BENEFITS YOU DESERVE: Student Loan Forgiveness Action Alert, Free Financial Planning, Savings for Members Only
December 17, 2021
Just ahead is the time you deserve…time for family, friends, sleep and the things that bring you happiness. Take some deep breaths and know that we are continuing to work on garnering the support our students need and you deserve. Any help you may wish to offer by joining our WEA Lobby Day with our legislators or taking 15 minutes to complete the district’s Fall Perception Survey is very much appreciated.
Happy holiday season to you and those you love!
P.S. Below is an update from your HEA VP and NEA Board Director Jeb Binns who led a delegation of HEA and RUC leaders to the NCUEA fall conference earlier this month. Please join me in thanking Jeb, along with Edissa Jaramillo, Shawna Moore, Leslie Sokolik, Brandice Tranholt, and Katie Utesch for taking time out of their busy lives to attend.
Notes on NCUEA December 1-3: This month HEA sent a delegation to NEA’s first in-person meeting since the beginning of the pandemic, and it went off without a hitch. The National Council of Urban Education Associations (NCUEA) demonstrated that it was possible for fully vaccinated, 100% masked, and COVID tested individuals to congregate in public and conduct the business of the association. The emotional relief of seeing 3-dimensional humans was palpable and the zero-transmission rate has paved the way for NEA’s leadership meeting to occur in March, and an in-person NEA Representative Assembly to be a distinct probability (NEA Board will vote in January) this summer.
The theme of this year’s Fall Meeting was Transitions and Transformations. We all know a lot about that as we have all transitioned and transformed our practices several times over the last 18 months. NCUEA attendees feted four acclaimed authors who each wrote books chronicling significant transformations of systems, cultures, and individuals.
All NCUEA meetings begin with the Urban Minorities Issues Dialogue. This year Cecily Myart-Cruz, President of United Teachers of Los Angeles, brought down the roof demanding that we all do better, extolling that we listen to the needs of our students and colleagues, and continue the hard work of creating the Just Schools that our students deserve.
Your delegation also attended breakout sessions structured based on the NEA Leadership Competency Framework. The sessions ranged from Organizing Community Schools, an Exploration into SOGI (Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity in Schools), Organizing to Win School Board Races, Safety in the Classroom, to Student Debt Relief.
Finally, NCUEA also passed a New Business Item (NBI) to research and report on different forms of Parliamentary Procedure that could be used at future meetings. Your delegation spoke in favor of that NBI and we look forward to sharing the findings of NCUEA when that becomes available.
National Education Association, Board Director
Highline Education Association, Vice President
1. YOU ARE INVITED
- NEW! HELP US PROBLEM SOLVE! Your input is critical. Help capture the unprecedented needs felt across our district. This survey closes at midnight so please take 15-minutes to share you experiences. Take the survey here.
- BOOSTERS NOW! Support our healthcare workers and protect your loved ones. Find and schedule a booster vaccine here. Studies are showing a booster is necessary to prevent break-through infections!
- NEW! HCR LEADERSHIP CONFERNCE. Save the date for the annual WEA Human and Civil Rights Leadership Conference scheduled online Feb.12, 2022 from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH UPDATE. Up to three finalists will be invited mid-February for full-day school visits and interviews with stakeholder groups. Read the results of the search firm’s leadership study here.
2. WEA NEWS
- FREE ASYNCH CLASSES/CLOCKHOURS. WEA's Inclusionary Practices Project (IPP) is offering 36 courses (up to 166 hrs of P.D.), including 60 hours of STEM, that you take at your own pace. For a complete list of courses with registration links, use the new Asynchronous Courses link on the WEA website. For questions, contact WEA Canvas Administrator Kendru Dimalanta.
- Important dates:
- June 10, 2022-Last day to register for a WEA asynchronous course.
- June 20, 2022-Last day to complete WEA courses for SY 2021-22.
- June 30, 2022-Last day to record clock hours in OSPI eCertification for certificates expiring on June 30, 2022.
- While June 30 is the last day to upload your documentation to renew an expiring certificate, WEA courses needs to be completed 10-days earlier in order to process clock hours.
- NEW! WEA NOMINATIONS OPENING. WEA will be conducting elections for three NEA Board Director positions during the 2022 WEA Representative Assembly in April 2022 via an online election. (One of these positions is currently held by HEA VP Jeb Binns.) The nominations web link will open on January 17 and close on Jan 31, 2022. Guidelines and complete details are on the WEA website.
- WEA & NEA RA DELEGATE NOMINATIONS OPEN. WEA and NEA RA Nominations are open until January 10. These delegates represent us in the elections for our WEA (and/or NEA) officers. Reach out to your building rep or email Sandy for details.
- WEA Representative Assembly Delegates (one and two-year terms are open) to be held virtually (April dates TBD on zoom) and in Spokane (April 13-15, 2023).
- NEA Representative Assembly Delegates (two-year terms), potentially Chicago or Las Vegas and/or online (July 2-6, 2022) and Orlando (July 2-6. 2023). Details available on Jan. 10.
3. BENEFITS YOU DESERVE
- NEW! STUDENT LOAN FORGIVENESS ALERT. If your student loans have been in forbearance (on pause), you must make a payment in February, 2022 in order for the years of forbearance to count. Learn more about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program and how to apply.
- NEA MEMBER BENEFITS. With the cost of living going up, now is a great time to enroll in NEA Member Benefits to access both savings and timely advice. Check out all the products and services that your union membership offers.
- FREE FINANCIAL PLANNING FOR MEMBERS. Did you know you have access to a financial planner who will help you map your road to retirement? Learn about your state pension and how to manage your other sources of income. Reach out to Brian Alsbury to set up an appointment by emailing BAlsbury@shelgrenfinancial.com.
- $AVE EVEN MORE! Time to increase your relaxation and decrease your rates. CalCas is lowering rates in WA effective 12/25/21. With other costs going up, their goal is to keep your auto, homeowners and renters insurance rates manageable (for you and your extended family). Happy Holidays and thanks for taking a moment to check out their program!