In this Issue: CommUnity Art Build for Public Education: April 15-17 @ Highline High School REGISTER HERE
- Life Stages Investing Workshop: April 20 REGISTER HERE
- Bargaining Listening Session Breakout Rooms: April 21
- Calm Afternoons Workshop for Educators and School Staff: 3 Wednesdays in May REGISTER HERE
- HEA Events
- Safety Concerns Reporting Form: Monitored weekly by HR/HEA
- Coverage- $100/hr rate for emergency coverage during planning time continues through April
April 15, 2022
Today starts our joyful Art Build event in support of public schools to be held at Highline High School! We hope that you can find time to join educators, students, family members, and community from across the South Sound region. You are encouraged to share the flyer, posted below, with students, friends and families.
All are welcome! RSVP Here and Come anytime (Yes, you can come for an hour or stay the whole day):
- Friday, April 15 between 5pm - 9pm Food Truck: Yummy Box Asian Fusion!
- Saturday, April 16 between 10am - 9pm Food Trucks: Kiss My Grits and Gourmini's Italian!
- Sunday, April 17 between 10am - 6pm Food Trucks: El Grand Taco and Carver Kitchen Gyro and Shawarma!
If you’re like me, you are also excited about the delicious free food truck meals for you, your family, kids, neighbors and anyone you invite! It’s not every day that families, educators and community members can paint and build art side by side in support of public education.
- Parking: Our RSVP form has been updated to include info to help with parking. Your GPS is most likely to lead to the driveway and large parking lot off of 152nd avenue, which connects to the West entrance. (There is another lot off of 156th by Moshier field, which takes you to the South entrance and that’s fine too!). We’ll have plenty of signage to take you to the welcome table.
- Article: Check out this wonderful article The Stand wrote on the Art Build!
We hope all schools will be represented in the signs we are creating! Dress for the weather as this is an indoor-outdoor event. (In consideration of others, indoor masking is required.)
With appreciation for each of you,
P.S. Wearing your HEA T-shirt at school on Wednesdays and at an event like this is a great way to show union solidarity and support your bargaining team. T-Shirts were delivered to buildings this week. If you still need one, please email Portia Robinson directly with your size.
RSVP and be a part of something historic.
1. April 20: Life Stages Investing Workshop
This one-hour workshop discusses how to save for the long term and provides guidance on how to identify retirement income sources and gaps. Additionally, this workshop unpacks the long-term financial impact of the Social Security and health care decisions that emerge as retirement approaches. Presented by NEA Member Benefits and sponsored by Cascade UniServ for members only.
And apologies for the 10-minute late start on our Benefits Bonanza this past Monday. Watch for a second opportunity zoom in early June to learn more about using your Travel Discounts this summer. With prices going up, it will literally pay to set aside time this summer to take advantage of other NEA Member Benefits.
Register with your home email address here.
2. April 21: Only One Bargaining Listening Session Remains
Open Bargain Listening Session Breakout Rooms. An important part of planning for the open bargain is sharing your stories with members of the bargaining team. These sessions are for HEA members only. If you know of someone who is not a member, please encourage them to join. This is a great reason to do so! Zoom link for HEA Members is here.
- Session 3 (April 21 @ 4:10-5:10PM): Elementary Classroom Teachers, Secondary Classroom Teachers, Special Programs (CTE, Dual Language, Learning Centers/ALE, Remote/Virtual Instruction)
3. Coming in May!
Calm Afternoons for Educators and School Staff
Calm Afternoons with Kaiser Permanente for Educators and School Staff: Join in for Calm Afternoons, a 3-part webinar series featuring weekly live Calm meditation sessions and targeted school resources. Each week, they will start the 30 minute session with a short meditation, followed by an interactive discussion around wellbeing. The leader will highlight a different wellness resource each week that will support you and your colleagues in building a culture of health. Please note you do not need to be a Kaiser Permanente member to join these sessions or to access the resources. All school staff are welcome to join! Register here.
- Wednesday, 5/4, from 3:30-4pm PT
- Wednesday, 5/11, from 3:30-4pm PT
- Wednesday, 5/18, from 3:30-4pm PT
4. HEA Events page: Find details & links here
- Student Behavior Survey. The new Student Behavior Support Committee needs to hear from you. Provide your input as we work with the district to plan for building level supports and professional development.
- NEW! Life Stages Investing NEA Member Benefits Seminar. (April 20 @ 4:30-5:30PM). Register here with your home email.
- CommUnity Art Build with Federal Way & Seattle Education Associations (Drop in on April 15 @5-9PM/ April 16 @10AM-9PM/ April 17 @ 10AM-6PM) At the NEW Highline High School. This is an indoor/outdoor family event to build power and strengthen community connections. Free Food trucks! Artists! Print-making! Solidarity! Families and community members welcome! Register here
- Bargaining Listening Session 3 (April 21 @ 4:10 PM- 5:10 PM) Zoom link here for HEA Members.
- NEW! Calm Afternoons with KP for Educators and School Staff (May 4, 11, & 18 from 3:30-4:00 PM). This three-week 30-minute series is designed to help you find your calm using meditation and other techniques. Read about the details here.
5. Use Our Safety Concerns Reporting Form
You are not alone! Share your COVID SAFETY CONCERN with your COVID CO-CAPTAIN and your building administrator, (send one email to both). If it is not resolved, report the issue to HR using the “Safety Concern Form”. This link is actively monitored by HR and HSD to resolve member COVID SAFETY issues. Please navigate through the Frontline Central to access and complete the link.
6. Emergency Coverage During Planning Times
The $100/hour emergency coverage rate will continue for those losing your planning during the month of April. Here are the absences and coverage rates for this past week. Many thanks to the central office and in building coverage that is being provided for our students. Please be good to each other and to those who are guest teaching in our buildings.