For this year’s HEA leadership elections, 19% of our members voted. The executive board met to recommend certification of the election to the Rep Council at their June 6 meeting. There, we plan to discuss ways to increase participation now that ballots are sent more securely but electronically. If you have ideas for increasing voter participation, please send them my way. We have traditionally waited to share election results in the Efocus once they are certified although candidates are free to share their results.
3. Upcoming HSD School Board Notices
HSD School Board June Meetings (06.01.22 & 06.22.22). These meetings are held live at Central Office and live streamed. Note the special start time. To access remotely, use the links below.
· June 1, 2022 5:00 PM School Board Meeting Honoring our NBCTs!
· June 22, 2022 5:00 PM Budget Hearing and School Board Meeting
4. HEA Events: Find details and links here
- VEBA Vote Explanation & NEA Benefits Bonanza (05.31.22 4:30-5:30ish). REGISTER HERE. Get your questions answered about VEBA and hear how to access a lifetime of financial benefits by joining WEA Retired. All members welcome as you learn ways to get your financial house in order over the summer break. Retirees and those with more than 180 days of sick leave will be voting on their sick leave cash out next month and so are particularly encouraged to join us.
- NEW! Sick Leave Cash Out/VEBA Vote (June 1- June 8 online). A ballot will be sent to your school district email for those declaring their retirement by May 31 and separate ballot to those who will have 180+ days of sick leave accumulated at the start of next school year. Please cast your vote by June 8.
- NEW! 2020-22 HEA Retiree Social @ Cedarbrook Lodge (Thursday, June 2 @4:00-6:00PM). There are a limited number of reservations still available, so we are opening this up to all members. Join us for a delightful social, honoring our retirees in the spacious Cedarbrook Ballroom. Retirees please send in your RSVP today to help us get the correct headcount for the delicious food and beverages being served. Please email Portia Robinson with your name and school location ASAP.
- Representative Council Meeting (06.06.22 from 4:30-6:30PM). Email Secretary Katie Utesch for zoom link or location information.
- NEW! VEBA Informational Sessions (06.07.22- 06.16.2022 4PM or 4:30 PM) Attend one of the five quick 30 minute live sessions. Learn about your HRA, health reimbursement arrangement, what you can use it for and how to easily access your money. We will cover online registration, filing claims, and more. Q &A session will follow. REGISTER TODAY!
- HEA General Membership Virtual Meeting (June 30 @ 5PM | REGISTER HERE). All members are invited and strongly encouraged to join in the information session and ratification vote. Register for zoom link!
- Seattle Pride Parade. (06.27.22 Morning). WEA is planning to bring back our WEA Pride Parade Contingent! It’s more important than ever for educators and staff to be visible advocates in schools…and supporting our students as public school educators in front of our 500,000 neighbors at Seattle Pride! WEA’s LGBTQ Caucus working on finalizing parade registration, but please save the date and RSVP for Pride 2022 here if you plan on joining!
- HEA MEMBER BENEFITS: Spend your summer making memories…Not auto insurance payments. Great news, our friends at California Casualty are offering NEA members a $25 gift card when you complete a new eligible auto quote. You can also skip payments in two summer months! Click here to get started.
5. Use Our Safety Concerns Reporting Form
You are not alone! Share your COVID SAFETY CONCERN with your COVID CO-CAPTAIN and your building administrator, (send one email to both). If it is not resolved, report the issue to HR using the “Safety Concern Form”. This link is actively monitored by HR and HSD to resolve member COVID SAFETY issues. Please navigate through the Frontline Central to access and complete the link.
6. NEA Superweek Report
By NEA Board Director/HEA VP Jeb Binns
The board met in person in Washington DC for the first time in 27 months, alas without this director who decided that Superweek was the best time to get COVID so he could do one more ZOOM meeting instead.
Lobby topics included addressing the educator shortage by supporting the Teacher Leader Residency Act to encourage aspiring leaders in education and supporting the Teacher Debt Relief Act. An additional topic was supporting inclusivity and Anti-Bullying asking members of congress to support the Safe Schools Improvement Act which specifically asks schools top adopt policies to specifically prohibit bullying and discrimination based on race color, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and religion.
Specifically focused on Washington, the NEA board approved $500,000 in a unanimous roll call vote to support a coalition to fight the ballot initiative that is trying to overturn the capital gains tax enacted upon gains of more than $250,000 from specific stocks, bonds, and other business interests. WEA and NEA ask you to decline to sign the initiative campaign that is happening in Washington and keep the funding for the educational trust alive.123