In this Issue: Bond to Rebuild Evergreen HS, Tyee HS & Pacific MS
- MLK Labor Report
- HSD School Board Notices
- HEA Events
- Safety Concerns Reporting Form: Monitored weekly by HR/HEA
- Join the Defenders of North SeaTac Park today and sign the Community Consensus Statement
June 3, 2022
Thank you for all you are doing to support our students and each other during these most difficult of times. Our community appreciates all your efforts. The school board will likely be going to them to seek approval to issue a bond for the construction of new facilities for our Evergreen HS, Tyee HS and Pacific MS communities. Please look for ways that we each can support the passage of this critical facilities upgrade needed for our colleagues’ and our students’ health and safety.
My best to each of you!
1. MLK Labor Report
by HEA-MLK Delegate Renee Agatsuma
- Town Hall with Rep Adam Smith to Support the Philippines Human Rights Act (PHRA) 6/4/2022 11AM - 12 PM. HEA, along with SEA has signed on to support the PHRA as part of a collective struggle for worker solidarity. The PHRA would suspend the millions of dollars of military aid to the Philippines, unless the government commits to reducing human rights abuses. These include the extrajudicial killings or disappearances of human rights activists, land defenders, journalists, union educators, and labor leaders. A coalition of Filipino organizations have asked fellow workers to show their support this Saturday. Wear Union Red! Location: Beacon United Methodist Church (7301 Beacon Ave S). Doors open at 10:30. Register here. (For more information, see the #passthePHRA tag on Instagram.)
- Yes On Initiative 135! At the last Martin Luther King County Labor Council (MLKCLC) meeting, the Labor Council officially endorsed the Social Housing Initiative (I-135). HEA was one of the first educator unions to support it, and we are happy that we have the opportunity to support more affordable housing in Seattle. Please sign the initiative if you have the chance and are eligible.
- NO on Initiative-1929 ! A few of the super-wealthy in our state are trying to reverse the gains we have made on addressing Washington’s regressive state taxation structure. Please refuse to sign!
2. Upcoming HSD School Board Notices
HSD School Board June Meetings (06.22.22). These meetings are held live at Central Office and live streamed. Note the special start time. To access remotely, use the links below.
· June 22, 2022 5:00 PM Budget Hearing and School Board Meeting
3. HEA Events: Find details and links here
- Sick Leave Cash Out/VEBA Vote (June 1- June 8 online). A ballot will be sent to your school district email for those declaring their retirement by May 31 and separate ballot to those who will have 180+ days of sick leave accumulated at the start of next school year. Please cast your vote by June 8.
- Representative Council Meeting (06.06.22 from 4:30-6:30PM). Email Secretary Katie Utesch for zoom link or location information.
- NEW! Bargaining Support Rally. (06.24.22@7:30AM). Join us for Coffee and a Cheer-fest. Stop by Central Office for a rally and cheer tunnel as we support our amazing bargaining team as they fight for improved working conditions and pay during this year’s negotiations. See the latest issues here.
- VEBA Informational Sessions (06.07.22- 06.16.2022 4PM or 4:30 PM) Attend one of the five quick 30 minute live sessions. Learn about your HRA, health reimbursement arrangement, what you can use it for and how to easily access your money. We will cover online registration, filing claims, and more. Q &A session will follow. REGISTER TODAY!
- HEA General Membership Virtual Meeting (June 30 @ 5PM | REGISTER HERE). All members are invited and strongly encouraged to join our information sessions and/or ratification vote. A registration link will be sent to your home email address on file with WEA in mid-June (and mid-August, if needed). Please update your personal contact information anytime using this link. This includes changes to your work location, position, address, email, phone and if you change your name with the district.
- Seattle Pride Parade. (06.27.22 Morning). WEA is planning to bring back our WEA Pride Parade Contingent! It’s more important than ever for educators and staff to be visible advocates in schools…and supporting our students as public school educators in front of our 500,000 neighbors at Seattle Pride! WEA’s LGBTQ Caucus working on finalizing parade registration, but please save the date and RSVP for Pride 2022 here if you plan on joining!
- HEA MEMBER BENEFITS: Spend your summer making memories…Not auto insurance payments. Great news, our friends at California Casualty are offering NEA members a $25 gift card when you complete a new eligible auto quote. You can also skip payments in two summer months! Click here to get started.
4. Use Our Safety Concerns Reporting Form
You are not alone! Share your COVID SAFETY CONCERN with your COVID CO-CAPTAIN and your building administrator, (send one email to both). If it is not resolved, report the issue to HR using the “Safety Concern Form”. This link is actively monitored by HR and HSD to resolve member COVID SAFETY issues. Please navigate through the Frontline Central to access and complete the link.
5. Join the Defenders of North SeaTac Park Today!
In addition to defending the park at a recent Port of Seattle meeting, we have been getting the word out through this LETTER to the Editor: Defenders of North SeaTac Park Asking Readers to Sign Community Forest Consensus | The Waterland Blog. If you haven’t had a chance to read the Community Census Statement or to sign on, please do so today. The Rep Council authorized union support earlier this spring. Please help us save the trees from Port development plans. Please support our organizing efforts to achieve tree equity and climate justice for the children, families, and workers around SeaTac Airport.