In this Issue: HEA Members Support Our Community !
- United for Our Members and Our Community- share your interests !
- Curriculum Adoptions- application due Sept 16
- Support SEA Members at their Sites and electronically.
- September and October Events
Additional Information: Update your work location and contact information using this link !
September 9, 2022
I encourage you to be WEARING BLUE ON TEAMSTER TUESDAYS and WEARING RED FOR ED ON WEDNESDAYS. Please reach out and support our Seattle colleagues any way that you can.
Wondering why the Bond is so important to our Staff, Students and Community ? Here are some of the details.
We will be asking for your time. HEA has committed that members will contribute 1.5 hours to phone banking and 1 Saturday morning to doorbelling. Sign up with your school for one or more phone banking opportunities during October on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Please set aside one Saturday morning in October (8, 15, 22 and 29) for doorbelling. Each service area will be covered that way. Your building rep will have signup information next week.
You can also contribute financially to the campaign by donating here.
Finally, use this link to endorse the bond and share your endorsement on your social media accounts.
I cannot stress enough the importance of each person’s small but mighty contribution to the future of our students and our community. Please contribute your energy to the efforts needed to pass the much needed replacement bond for new schools at Evergreen HS, Tyee HS and Pacific MS.
1. United for Our Members and Our Community
HEA committees are important to the health of our union and impact how we address challenges in our workplaces. If you are considering being involved in union work that helps HEA be more transparent, democratic and impactful, please reach out by completing this form.
- HEA Committees are critical to advancing the voice, power, and professional advocacy of our members.
- HEA-HSD Joint Committees are established through the bargaining process and meet several times each year to work on charges found in our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) or Letters of Agreement These groups frequently make recommendations to the Joint HEA-HSD Bargaining Teams and/or to the HSD Board of Directors.
- NEW ! Secondary Dual Language Study Committee.
- NEW ! Joint Inclusive Services Team.
2. Care About Your Curriculum?
Apply for a curriculum adoption committee for the 2022-23 school year.
In addition to continuing the adoption process for 6-12 music, K-8 science and upper-level math, new committees are being formed for a biology and a health curricula adoption.
HEA needs educators to be part of the process. The Instruction Materials Committee has reopened applications for new members to our current committees as well as for our two new committees.
- SY 22-23 Curriculum Adoption Teams (see district website to apply)
- Secondary Music (continuing)
- Elementary Science (continuing)
- Secondary Science (continuing)
- Secondary (Upper level) Math (continuing)
- K-12 Health (may be divided elementary/secondary) - NEW !
- 9th grade Biology - NEW !
3. Union Solidarity - Support Seattle
Around the country and close to home, school board directors have never been more important than in today’s world. WEA and NEA can support educators who are considering running for local office, including for your local school board. Use this link to find out how to access union training and support to running for office in the community where you live.
The Seattle Education Association members made the difficult decision to strike. Their contract expired Aug. 31 and a tentative agreement was not achieved by Wednesday, which was the first student day. Their membership includes their classified employees and their guest teachers, and they are fighting for a fair wage for ALL their members. In addition they are demanding that the dollars sent from the legislature be spent on student supports including improved learning conditions for students receiving special education services. Our educators’ working conditions are our students’ learning conditions.
- Sign up to show your support for Seattle students and educators. Text "support" to 48744.
- You can send a message urging the district to settle a fair contract with Seattle Education Association members.
- For those living in and around Seattle, please take a moment before and/or after school to stop by your neighborhood school to show your support for the strikers any way you can. They are picketing at all 106 sites with a 90% participation rate!
4. September and October Events
- HPS School Board Meetings –September 21 @ 6PM , October 5 @ 6PM, and October 19 @ 6PM (in person & via zoom)
- HEA New Rep Training (Veteran reps are welcome!) – September 12 @4:30PM (in person only at Highline High School. Sandwiches, salads and dessert provided.)
- CANCELLED- HEA Veteran Rep WEA-PAC Training
- RECN Monthly Meeting – September 15 Register here (third Thursdays @4:30-6:00PM)
- HSF Brat Trot and first annual Burien Oktoberfest – October 1 at 9AM. $30 registration fee. Enter here to win a free registration! Must be an HEA member to win.
- HEA/HSD New Contract Language (CBA) Training – October 3 @ 4PM on zoom for HEA Representatives and HSD Administrators. This will be followed by a short October Rep Council Meeting @ 5PM. HEA Rep Council meetings are open to all members, (except during Executive Sessions).