In this Issue: HEA Nominations and Elections
- Is Regence Your Healthcare Provider?
- December & January Events
- WEA PD Network: A variety of approaches to support all learners.
- NEA Member Benefits: Save Money
I just want to share a short plug for participating in your union. Nominations are currently open for delegates to represent HEA at the WEA Rep Assembly (RA) in Spokane. Candidate speeches for our delegates will take place on January 9 shortly after the rep council meeting is called to order at 4:30PM. Watch for an email link in January to join in and listen. Candidate statements will appear in a Special Edition of the eFocus in January to support your participation in the election. This April, those members attending the WEA RA will be electing the WEA President and Vice-President for the coming two years. Those delegates elected to the NEA Representative Assembly will attend in Orlando, FL. Similar elections will be held for NEA leadership this year as well.
Participation as a delegate is entirely funded by member dues. Transportation, hotel, meals, and substitutes (if needed) are paid for delegates to these assemblies. Table tents should be appearing in your staff rooms and on HEA bulletin boards soon with details.
Finally, please take a moment to read today’s message from Dr. Duran. There, he specifically addresses the issues we've been seeing at the Board. This is a great start and it suggests our presence there is making a difference. We look forward to having a presence at next week’s meeting – details for attending or signing up to speak are below.
Nominations will be accepted prior to and at the January 9 HEA Rep Council meeting. We encourage you to scan the QR code or use this link to complete a nomination form prior to January 9.
For information, email HEA Elections Chair Amanda Stanley Amanda.Stanley@highlineschools.org.
1. Is Regence Your Health Insurance Provider ?
Through SEBB, many educators chose Regence as our health insurance provider. Now, Regence is in a dispute with Polyclinic and Everett Clinic over rates and payments and we, the patients, are caught in the middle. If these parties cannot come to resolution by December 19, 2022, Regence patients will no longer have access to Polyclinic or Everett Clinic. Read more about it in the Health Care Authority fact sheet. These notices are a typical negotiating tactic and often the insurer and provider find resolution before the deadline. Still, at this point we have few options. Here’s what you can expect:
- This standoff between Regence and Optum could end in the next few weeks, and care could continue uninterrupted . For this reason, we recommend not establishing new care before December 19 unless you must.
- You could continue using your Everett Clinic or Polyclinic providers but would be charged an out-of-network rate.
- You could switch to an in-network provider from groups like UW Medicine, MultiCare, Providence Swedish, Overlake Medical Center, Virginia Mason Franciscan, Western WA Medical Group, or others.
- Regence is making network exceptions for certain conditions or providers – call Regence at 800-628-3481 to get more information.
1. HEA Rep/HSD Administrator Labor Management Training: December 5. Two options for teams to participate: Session A (3:00-4:15PM) and Session B (4:30-5:45PM). This session replaces the December Rep Council Meeting.
2. HPS School Board Meetings: December 7 @ 6PM. (in person & via zoom) Scheduled and Unscheduled Speakers encouraged to sign starting today at 4PM. Call 206-631-3070 and leave your name, contact number, and your topic. TODAY*** TODAY ***TODAY ***
3. Rainier Educators of Color Network RECN Monthly Meetup December poll: Take this quick 2 minute poll!
4. Winter Break. December 16, 2022- January 2, 2023. Return from break TUESDAY, January 3
5. Rainier UniServ Council Rainbow Educators Monthly Meetup: January 5, 2023 @ 4PM. RSVP here.
6. HEA Rep Council Meeting: January 9, 2023 @ 4:30PM. (Jump on from 4PM-4:30PM for a Rep Skill Refresher.) Meeting to be held on zoom. Link will be emailed to all HEA members. Nominations close at the meeting for candidates to the NEA RA (Orlando & Philadelphia) and WEA RA (Spokane). Zoom Link will be emailed to all HEA members to attend the 5:30PM candidate speeches.
7. Save the Date: HCR Leadership Conference – January 20 (evening) and January 21, 2023. Details coming.
3. WEA PD NETWORK
CLICK BELOW TO REGISTER
WEAR BLUE ON TEAMSTER TUESDAYS!
WEAR HEA RED FOR ED ON WEDNESDAYS!
5. NEA MEMBER BENEFITS FOR YOU!