In this Issue: Tomorrow Join Transforming Classrooms Through Community & Connections
- Educator Life Hacks
- Meet the Candidates for the HEA Executive Board
- March Events
- Substitute Data Fill Chart
March 9, 2023
HEA and HSD leadership have been working on student behavior challenges in our schools. We are actively identifying system additions, policy improvements, and training that must be implemented. Here is the training that was presented at the Monday Rep Council Meeting on student discipline and the process to document student assaults.
As advertised last week, HEA is providing a one-day introductory AVP workshop scheduled for March 10 (9:00AM-4:00PM in the Sylvester MS Library). Participants earn 6 clock hours by attending the Introduction to Transforming Classrooms through Community and Connection. Registration is through Frontline with the REGISTRATION LINK HERE. We would love for you to attend as well as encourage others to join. (The workshop is limited to 25 participants.) The course introduces peaceful solutions to addressing the conflicts that arise in our everyday lives, including our classrooms and schools.
“Successful community building creates connections and establishes a positive culture where learning can occur. This experiential workshop is a one-day introduction to what is a 2.5 day workshop. Facilitators will guide us through a variety of self-esteem building, communication, and conflict transformation activities. We will leave with the knowledge and confidence to conduct these activities and feel encouraged to seek out the full workshop to further transform our classrooms and our schools.”
King County is sponsoring free Community and Connection AVP 2.5 day workshops. Classroom teachers and other educators who have started this series have really appreciated it. After attending the one-day or if you are ready to join a 2.5-day cohort, community-based trainings will be available this coming year with HEA covering the clock hour fees.
You do NOT need to attend the intro session on March 10 to sign up for the Basic Workshop. Details are included with the registration:
1. Educator Life Hacks
If you have never created an account with us, you will be prompted to do so. Name and address is all you need. If having problems, please call us at 1-800-637-4636 for assistance.
- Need relief from Student Debt? Sign up now for your FREE NEA Student Debt Navigaor (Savi-tracks all the student debt program changes for you and customizes results to your needs)
- Looking for New Mental Health Self-Care Tools? Start your personalized journey with Sanvello -12 Months of Premium Service FREE
- Planning a Get-Way? Use your annual $500 travel dollars at the NEA Travel Website.
- Trying to Save Money? Sign up for a Rakuten account through NEAMB.com and start to Earn Cash Back on qualifying purchases.
- Are you taking advantage of NEA Financial Planning Benefits? Sign Up for Support from Bryan Alsbury
- Member Education: Free workshops and online tools- learn about key financial concepts to help you prepare for retirement and gain confidence in your overall financial plan.
- NEA Retirement Specialists: Security Benefit partners with independent financial professionals, like Bryan Alsbury, who live and work in your local community and specialize in helping educators fully understand school employee pension options and their overall retirement picture.
- LifeStage Solutions: Access a full range of solutions designed to meet your needs during your lifetime — from early career through retirement — and to help you grow and preserve assets, as well as create income in retirement.
2. Meet the Candidates for HEA Executive Board
Congratulations to the following Candidates for the HEA Executive Board. Once elected they will join returning HEA Secretary Veronica Fairchild and Directors Brandice Tranholt and Amanda Stanley on the HEA Executive Board:
- Candidate for President: Jeb Binns
- Candidate for Vice-President: Shawna Moore
- Candidate for Elementary Rep A: Katie Utesch
- Candidate for Middle School Rep: Leslie Sokolik
- Candidate for Specialist Rep: Sara Fox
I wish to extend my personal thanks to Christian Tautua for his service to the members and his contributions to our community and students. I look forward to having more time to hang out with him and other members around the district….
Upcoming Election Calendar Dates
- Candidate Forum—April 24 (more details coming on meeting the candidates)
- Opportunity for Candidates to address the Representative Council- May 1
- BallotPoint voting May 15 to May 19 through your personal email.
***Look for Event Flyers Posted on your Staff Room HEA Bulletin Board***
1. SPECIAL INVITATION! HEA’s Introduction to Transforming Classrooms through Community and Connection—March 10 (9:00AM-4:00PM in the Sylvester Library) This is a secondary SLC day-if you are not hosting SLCs, talk with your administrator about attending. Elementary, this is a non-paid day so talk with your administrator about an ESC. REGISTER HERE!
2. HPS School Board Meetings—March 15 and March 29 (6PM in person or listen in via zoom). Schedule your public comment by calling 206-631-3070 starting on Monday 9AM through Wednesday 9AM the week of the meeting. Be sure to leave your name, contact number, personal email and your topic. Public Speakers have up to two minutes with priority going to those speaking on agenda topics which are listed starting the Friday before.
3. HEA’s Guest Teacher Social returns: March 17 (4:00-5:30PM at Angelo’s Restaurant, Burien). RSVP HERE!
4. Sound Alliance "Crisis Care Centers Levy" People’s Assembly: March 12 (2:00-3:30PM) in-person at the Seattle Labor Temple. RSVP HERE!
5. RECN Monthly Meeting: March 16 @ 4:30PM-6PM Rainier Educators of Color Network Monthly Meetup on Zoom! All educators welcome! RSVP HERE! (third Thursdays of the month)
4. Sub Data Fill Rates
WEAR BLUE ON TEAMSTER TUESDAYS!
WEAR HEA RED FOR ED ON WEDNESDAYS!