Shelton students deserve more adult support
The Shelton School District is threatening to layoff half of the Education Support Workers who support our students. The board is voting on a budget TODAY at 1 p.m. that would lay off nearly 30 full-time secretaries, 20 full-time bus drivers, eight full-time custodians, five full-time food service workers, two full-time mechanics and a half-time aquatics director. We need to show our support.
Here are sample messages you can share with the school board, but feel free to personalize (both in the subject line and the letter body) to make the message your own.
- The goal of delivering quality public education to every student requires MORE people to transport basic education supplies, services, and food to their new place of public education, home.
- Special education students must have para-educators working with our special education teachers so they can receive specially designed instruction.
- Students who need a little extra support at school count on para-educators. Those students (and others who don’t have strong support at home) need extra support during remote learning.
- Our students deserve customized learning experiences. Our team of para-educators help deliver that specially designed instruction for students.
- Our secretaries who normally greet our families with a friendly smile, caring attitude and to problem solving attitude at school are needed to help our families navigate school during these uncertain times.
- Our location has changed, but we must have our entire and complete community of school workers to make sure our students receive the high quality public education they deserve.
- Don't shortchange our students by taking supportive adults away. The district is budgeting for a $4.7 million surplus. Why layoff essential workers with an extra of $4.7 million in the bank?